Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Freebirds

Thesis/mapping statement
Freebirds World Burrito using sarcasm in its ad introducing black bean soup as a new menu item, but I argue that mentioning cigarettes is very risky, because tobacco in customers’ mind is associated with serious damage to health and some people just do not have sense of humor, especially when it comes to their wellbeing.
                                                                Paragraph

Confusion of the first impression

In this particular advertisement “Freebirds World Burrito” is introducing new menu item, black bean soup. The company uses quite risky approach by being sarcastic, witty and mentioning cigarettes in the ad. Even though I am a repeat customer of the mentioned restaurant chain, but I still got confused thinking: “what cigarettes has to do with food? ”. It took me a while to figure out the message of the ad. In my view, it is a big mistake of their marketing team since tobacco in customers mind is associated with health problems and as an owner or manager of a certain business entity you definitely do not want to be affiliated with anything like that. Also I understand where they are coming from with the choice of colors, since beans are black, but in my opinion it makes the ad look sort of dull and gloomy.            

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a very good ad, even though I don't completely get the message. I had never heard of this food chain before. I agree with you that most people do not have a sense of humor when it comes to their wellbeing, and food chains shouldn't mess with that if they want to attract more customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it interesting that you took a negative stance against it seeing has a lot of Americans smoke cigarettes. Its interesting to see a non-smokers side. I Agree, that for health reasons perpetuating the use of cigarettes is not a good choice. I like your strategy of using a marketing no's and cons angle to dissuade readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Freebird's has always tried to be the hip kind of food chain. They serve spinach tortillas and have lots of vegan options that attract young adults. I guess they think cigarettes are cool and appeal to their demographic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having been a customer of Freebirds and seeing who they market towards through both their advertisements and their store design, I can see why they thought this advertisement would draw in their costumers. Most of the people working at Freebirds, and many of those who populate the restaurant, are young, usually tattooed individuals who give off the "hippie" vibe and usually smoke cigarettes. I do also agree with you, though, that it can repel some possible consumers because of the health effects that are also correlated with cigarette smoking.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank ya'll for comments, hopefully we get our participation points :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your thesis, it is very argumentative; however, you might want to have two more points to talk about in your paper. It would help the length of your paper. Your body paragraph was very good.

    ReplyDelete